DIFFERENT SALES PITCH FOR DIFFERENT CLIENTS


It was painful for me to watch an insurance//investment agent try to sell to a thankless prospect. I was trying my best to mind my own business, but can't help but notice the two ladies in their 30s sitting near me in Starbucks. They probably went to the same school and met for this transaction.


"At what age would you like to retire?" the agent asked.

The client sipping her Frappuccino as if she didn't hear her. (Maybe she had no plans of retiring.)

"Ok, maybe when you're 60?" The agent smiled.

Without saying any word, the client's facial expression said it all, "What's with the questions?"

The agent took her calculator and started computing – you can feel the awkward silence between them.

"I just want to get it over with", her body language showed while waiting for the agent.

The polite agent continued her routine, and asked more questions. This time medical in nature. She filled out the forms while the client gave her answers – reluctantly.

"Did you ever have asthma?" 

"When I was a baby." The client replied.

"Do you still remember what age?"

"Baby nga!" [Client now a bit irritated...]

A few minutes later, I stood up because I had to go. No clue what happened next.

Selling can be a pain. But you can still avoid these unpleasant situations when you alter your approach. Yes, selling is hard, but it can be fun, interesting and rewarding too.


THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF BUYERS

1. For some, 'buying' is a chore
Whenever you need medicines, all you have to do is to go to a drugstore counter with a prescription. As long as the service is quick and accurate, you don't need much pleasantries. The shorter I can get out of the drugstore, the better it is for me.


Many clients prefer that you simply provide what they need. "Just tell me how much to pay, where to sign, and make sure to answer my call in case I need help. No, I'd prefer for you not to explain everything to me right now. Make it hassle free for me today, I'll be happy to do business with you tomorrow or for the long haul."

They want it smooth, quick and straight to the point.


2. While for some, they expect 'buying' to be a great experience.
They want to enjoy the process of buying and to feel good about their decision.

When you're in a car dealership, you don't just point and pick a car. You pick the right color, ask about the engine, and go for a test drive. You take pleasure by smelling the interior of the brand new car in display. It's about the experience.

The Takeaway: Know what your clients prefer. Then approach them in the way they would want you to. Many times it's not just about the obvious. (not just about the price, discounts or added features that you can offer) And the only way to find out is to ask the right questions and to listen intently.

Some may need persuading, while others may have been decided to buy even before you met. (So convincing them further will do no good, but will come out as irritating) 

You can provide a 'buying experience' that's smooth or one that's truly memorable.   

You don't need to use 'the same sales pitch' to two different clients.  





My business partner and Sales Coach, Mr. Bob Barcebal, will conduct another run of "Win in Your First 30 Days in Sales Workshop" this coming Saturday, October 26 @ The Malayan Plaza Hotel. This is ideal for entrepreneurs, freelancers, and sales professionals.

We're glad to witness this learning session into becoming one of the most in-demand sales seminar in Manila. For more details or to register, visit: http://tinyurl.com/winoct26